Saturday, March 28, 2009

Getting Ready for Round 3!

I use the exclamation point on the title because Isaiah's treatment is flying by! I haven't updated the blog as I promised I would. There are a couple factors why: I work longer hours during the week so I have off on Mondays and when I am home from work I don't want to get back on another computer from having sat at one most of my day.

Isaiah has been doing great! So good in fact Erica questioned whether the chemo was even working. His blood counts have all been at the low end of normal. We did have a scare last week when his hemoglobin count was read wrong over the phone to us, which then had us drive to Duke thinking Isaiah would have to have a transfusion. The nurse drew his blood and told us his levels were good.

His prosthesis looks great. You can hardly tell unless you look at him a certain way, The color is sometimes off. That's because Isaiah's good eye can change color from dark blue to a gray/greenish blue. Most of the time his eye is the latter color.

My dad flies in tomorrow around noon and will be with us till late next week. I'm looking forward to seeing him. After several trips out to Nebraska he's finally making the trip.

I applied for a job back in Georgia. Erica and I plan to put our house on the market soon ... we have to paint and make a few minor repairs (door molding, window screens, carpet cleaning ... all damage caused by our wonderful pets). After everything that's happened to us over the past couple years it will be nice to live closer to family. I will probably interview in late April/May and if accepted won't move till late summer.

Of course Isaiah goes in for his fourth round of chemo on Monday/Tuesday. Two more after that. Sarah continues to grow and is smiling and cooing a lot now. Sarah's eyes were examined the week before last for any evidence of retinoblastoma ... the tests came back negative. The opthalmologist mentioned they wanted to do an EUA (examination under anesthesia) when she's 6 months old. Because retinoblastoma can be both genetic and sporadic, the EUA will help in early diagnosis with Sarah ... BUT ... base don the way the cancer presented itself in Isaiah, it is most likely a sporadic case. We have a genetics appointment in May where we'll receive a definitive answer. We're hoping the results will come back before they want to put Sarah under.

I'll try to keep everyone updated. If you really want updates feel free to call.

1 comment: