Monday, January 12, 2009

12 Jan 2009 - Isaiah has his left eye removed






Today was a mixture of emotions. We took Isaiah to the Duke Eye Center to undergo a procedure called enucleation - removal of his left eye. He did great this morning and is still doing good. He's very tired and still working off the anesthesia. Isaiah has said he wants the big patch to come off, but we can't do that yet. Things finally hit me emotionally today. I cried after I took Isaiah back for his examination last time - and I did again today. I don't know how to explain everything - its difficult for me to take my youngest son, who looks to me for protection, back to an operating room where I have to hold him while he gasps the anesthesia. I feel as if I've violated his trust in me somehow, although I know thats not true. The reality sunk in after I walked away - that my son has cancer, its in his eye, and they're taking his eye - the operating room, the prepped medical gear near the operating bed labeled "ENUCLEATION KIT". The entire situation is very difficult for me to deal with, but I know that Isaiah was already blind in that eye because the tumor was so large and that by removing this eye his life was saved. I apologize for those who didn't want to read this - the below information is what you're looking for.

As I mentioned above, Isaiah is doing good. We'll go back tomorrow morning for a checkup and bandage change, then again in 3 weeks for another examination under anesthesia (EUA) to fit him for his "fake eye". Dr. Buckley attached an implant to Isaiah's eye muscles, so his "new eye" will have near natural eye movement. This implant will stay with Isaiah throughout his life. He will probably have to have a couple "fake eyes" as he grows. His "fake eye" will be like a giant contact lense that will fit over the implant. We'll find out later this week if chemotherapy is needed. The decision will be based on whether or not cancer cells are present in the optic nerve, indicating a higher risk that the cancer could have began to spread at a microscopic level to his brain. He has a 10% chance that he'll have to undergo chemotherapy, based on statistics of many other children diagnosed with Unilateral Retinoblastoma. If this happens - any remaining cancer cells will be killed; Retinoblastoma is easy to kill with today's cancer treatments and the human eye in all its splendor keeps the cancer well contained.

Sarah, our newest addition to the family, will come into the world Wednesday morning. Erica and I really appreciate everyones thoughts and prayers. If we haven't talked to you or written you back, please know that we are busy and we sincerely appreciate all the support we have received.

3 comments:

  1. Isaiah is so blessed to have such loving and caring parents. I am glad to hear everything went smoothly today and I am praying that they do not find any additional cancer cells. I can't wait to see pictures of sweet little Sarah! Praying that everything goes smoothly with Sarah's arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that everything went well today. I have had you, Erica, Isaiah, Levi, and Little Sarah in my thoughts and prayers all day and will continue to pray for you guys all week. Erica you are one of my Best Friends and remember if you need anything I am here for you!! Love you and May God Bless You!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Damon you have a load to carry I am glad Isaiah has such good parents and doctors to help him through this. Some day it will be a distant memory for you all but I know your having a tough time. Let your faith be strong and God will carry you all when you need it. I hope today's checkup goes well and we look forward to hearing that everything goes well tomorrow also. Melissa and I admire your strength and will be praying that god continues to watch over you all.

    ReplyDelete