Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Second trip to the Emergency Room - Admitted to the Hospital

Well, I haven't been on the computer in almost a week. Last Friday Isaiah was very sick and wasn't able to keep any fluids down. I called the Pediatric Oncologist on-call at Duke who recommended I take him to our local ER to get some fluids. Isaiah and I arrived at the hospital around 10:30 Friday night and were admitted around 3am on Saturday. Isaiah stayed sick until about Tuesday evening and then started to feel better. He was able to hold foods down. We stayed so long because Isaiah didn't want to drink. The little guy only drinks milk at home and was on the BRAT (Banana, Rice, Apple Sauce, & Toast) diet ... and he only likes bananas out of that selection. He started feeling a lot better Wednesday night and this morning drank about 9 ounces of milk and was able to be discharged. The doctors think he had viral stomach bug before chemo and then had his first round - both played a number on his gastrointestinal tract. That said, every round should not be like this. Dr. B, Isaiah's Oncologist mentioned that he's never had a kid react to chemo this way, which led to is conclusion of the virus/chemo team up I mentioned above. We're all back at home and will be into our normal routine as of tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are all back home together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Damon! I had heard about your son before I separated from active duty and I made sure to grab your blog address before I left. My heart goes out to you and your family. Please keep us updated!
    ~Shannon Brill

    ReplyDelete